Regarding Third-Party Payment Processing Services
Please avoid using third-party payment processors other than your bank’s bill pay service.
BGJWSC customers have contacted us recently with concerns and questions about third-party payment services that appear in search results. These services advertise the ability to manage many different bills through their website. We have discovered that some of these services use our name and logo on their website without our permission, creating a false confidence that they are operating as an approved agent of the utility. The BGJWSC is not affiliated with any third-party payment processor.
Through our research, we have discovered that various third-party services exist that promise to simplify the way you pay your bill. The BGJWSC does not recommend the use of these types of third-party payment systems for the following reasons:
- Third-party payment processors typically charge a transaction fee of as little as $3 to as much as $10. Our online portal does not charge a fee of any kind for processing your payment.
- If you are on a restricted payment method due to a payment previously made by mail, in person or through our online payment portal that resulted in multiple returns due to insufficient funds, payment using a third-party service will not guarantee service will be continued or restored.
- Using a third-party payment processor typically involves a paper check being mailed to us directly or to our payment processing facility in Orlando, Florida. If your service has been disconnected for non-payment, restoration of service may be delayed by days or more than a week until the payment has been received.
- If the third-party payment processor does not include your account number or includes an incorrect number, your payment may be lost or misapplied. We are unable to provide tracking information on payments made through these methods.
- Due to the mailing delay, you may incur late fees or disconnection fees if the payment has not been posted by the due date.
- Some third-party payment processors have been suspected of committing fraud by charging your credit card, debit card or checking account and never forwarding the payment to the utility.
- By using these third-party payment processors, you may also be placing your credit card or banking account information at risk, which could lead to exposure of your information to those that wish to put your funds and/or identity at risk.
We recommend using our Citizen Access online payment portal that provides the security of information storage that adheres to strict banking information security guidelines, known as Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) Compliance. If you regularly use a third-party payment method, please delete your data from their system, discontinue their use, and set up access to our portal here: https://www.bgjwsc.org/bill-payment/