(912) 261-7100    |   Contact Us


At the BGJWSC, we’re dedicated to providing prompt, efficient and effective customer service. We’ve developed this list of frequently asked questions to provide the information you need to get the most from your water and sewer utility service.

Where is the JWSC office?
The JWSC office is located at 1703 Gloucester Street in downtown Brunswick.

What are the business hours of the JWSC?
The JWSC office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I need to reach Customer Service but I don’t have time to wait on hold. Are there other ways to reach Customer Service?
You can reach Customer Service by fax to 912.261.7179 or by email to info@bgjwsc.org.

How do I start my water service?
In order to establish your service, you will need to apply in person at our office at 1703 Gloucester Street in Brunswick or by using our online form. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires that we verify your identity with a government issued photo ID and proof of residency. Also, the JWSC is required to validate your Social Security Number at the time of application.

A deposit of $100 per REU and a $55 connection fee are due with your application. REU stands for “Residential Equivalency Unit,” a number that is based on monthly water and sewer usage for a typical residence. In general, single-family households are  assigned a REU of 1; commercial and industrial customers generally have higher REU numbers.

Why do I need to provide my Social Security Number and Identification?
The Federal Trade Commission requires utilities to verify your identity. Applying for utility service is one of the first steps taken by identity thieves. In order to provide a means to protect our customers, we comply with the FTC rules as outlined at the following site: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/fighting-identity-theft-red-flags-rule-how-guide-business

I’m moving. How do I transfer my account?
Residential customers, please view the following page for information regarding your transfer request: Transfer Service

Commercial customers may transfer service at the following page: Transfer Service

Your deposit and any balances will be transferred from your current account to the new account.

Can I start an account or transfer service before I move?
Yes. When you apply for service or want to transfer your account, inform the JWSC of the dates you want the changes.

Who can make changes to my account?
Only the customer and other persons listed on the service application may make changes or terminate service.

Can I make changes to my account by phone, fax or online?
Certain changes can be made by phone, by confirming your personal identifying information: birth date, last four digits of your Social Security Number, etc. Online management of your account is not available.  Starting, stopping, or transferring service is not done over the telephone.

How do I stop my water service?
To stop your service, please visit either our Customer Service Lobby or download the Stop Service form from our website and return it to Customer Service.  Please indicate when service is to be stopped and a forwarding address for mailing your deposit refund.

When will I receive my deposit refund?
Deposit refunds normally are processed and returned within 10 days to two weeks after the date your account closes. This allows time for computing your final bill and processing your refund through our payment processes. Please provide your forwarding address when closing your account.

Can my deposit be refunded if I have a good payment history?
The City of Brunswick and the Glynn County Water and Sewer Ordinances do not allow for the refunding of deposits when a good payment history is established.

How often are meters read?
Residential and commercial water meters are read every 30 days.

How often am I billed for water and sewer service?
Utility bills are issued monthly. If you do not receive your bill, please contact Customer Service at 912.261.7100. Failure to receive a bill does not release you from the obligation to pay for service.

What happens if my bill is not paid by the due date?
If your bill is not paid by the due date shown on the bill, a 1.5% late fee will be added to your balance for each month you are past due.

I’ve had a leak. Can I get an adjustment on my bill?
Visit the section of our website here for details on leak adjustments.

Should I continue to pay my bill if my meter is not functioning properly, I am disputing a balance, or I have an adjustment pending?
Yes. You must pay your current utility bill amount pending the resolution of a dispute or adjustment.

Where can I pay my bill?
For your convenience, we offer several ways for you to pay your water/sewer service bill:

  • Online – Click here to pay your bill using our convenient and secure online bill payment service.
  • Walk-In – Customer service representatives are available during regular business hours, at our office at 1703 Gloucester St. in Brunswick.

My water was shut off and I can’t pay my bill. What can I do to have service restored?
You may be eligible for a payment plan that would allow you to pay your bill balance in installments while you are paying each month on your current bill. Please call Customer Service at 912.261.7100 for more information.

Will I have to pay to have my service reconnected if it is cut off due to non-payment?
Yes. You must pay the balance owed or enter into a payment plan to have service restored. A turn off fee also will be charged to your account. You also may be required to pay an additional deposit.

If my service is cut off and I pay my bill, how soon will service be reconnected?
Service is restored the same day if payment is made before 2:00 p.m. After 2:00 p.m., service will be restored the next business day. If payment is made after 2:00 p.m., service may be restored the same day for an additional fee.

Do I need to be home for my water to be turned on?
Yes. All taps should be turned off and a responsible adult present at the service address. Service crews will not restore service if the water meter indicates that water is flowing through it. Additional charges may apply for multiple attempts to turn on your water.

Can I turn my water service on?
No. This is a violation of the Water and Sewer Ordinance. Damages to the meter and/or connection as a result of turning on your own water will result in repair charges billed to the customer. Tampering with or turning on the meter will incur fines and penalties according to the City and County Ordinances, and may result in civil or criminal action.

How do I determine whether I have a leak?
Make sure all the water in your home is turned off (no washing machine or dishwasher running). Go to your water meter in the ground, remove the lid and see whether the dial is moving. If the dial moves at all, and you are sure no water on your property is on, then there is a leak in your plumbing, or between the meter and your home. If you have a crawl space, be sure to check there as well.

How do I report a leaky or broken meter?
Please call Customer Service at 912.261.7100.

What is a sanitary sewer system?
Structures in the wastewater collection system (pipes, force mains, gravity sewer lines and manholes) that are designed to convey sewage only (not storm water) to wastewater treatment facilities are referred to a sanitary sewers.

How are repair requests prioritized?
Requests for repairs are prioritized on the basis of three criteria: public health and/or safety, environmental impact, and severity of the problem requiring repair.

What should I do if a have a sewage backup in my home or yard?
If you experience a sewage backup, contact Customer Service at 912.261.7100 during normal business hours. After hours and during weekends and holidays, call our emergency number at 912.634.0258.

Who is responsible for cleaning up sewage spills, overflows, etc.?
Spills on private property or inside a private building are the responsibility of the property owner.

How can I find out about work in my area which may effect my service?
JWSC posts information about scheduled maintenance work and service interruptions here. Please note that in cases of emergency, we may not always be able to post this information online. However, we will make every effort to keep customers in the affected areas advised of the situation and will restore service as quickly as possible.

I am a commercial or industrial customer. Are the requirements different for me?
Commercial and industrial water and sewer customers are subject to specific rules and regulations regarding connections to the system, water usage, wastewater discharge and other factors. Please visit our Customer Service or Waste Water Treatment Division pages for more information.

I am an engineer or contractor. Where do I go to find information about connecting to your system?
Please visit our Planning & Construction Division page.

Stay in the know.

Sign up to receive updates on boil water advisories, bid opportunities, billing notifications, and more. 

Brunswick - Glynn Joint Water & Sewer Commission - 1703 Gloucester Street Brunswick, GA 31520 - 912-261-7100